JOJO's Journey

Thursday, March 01, 2007

LIfe Change

For some of you this might come as a surprise, and for some of you....well, you already know! So here it goes. Wednesday I told the women's basketball players that I will no longer be coaching at Northwestern College. I have so enjoyed my 7 years there and have learned so much from coaching with Linda....and even more important than that; i have made a life long friend that i truly trust, respect and have fun with. Linda has been apart of my life since 1993 when i ventured onto the basketball floor as a player and found out that this 'short lady' was going to be my post coach- and from that point on...Linda became a huge influence in my life. I also have so many memories wrapped up in the girls that have come and gone. In the past seven years I have coached 54 different girls, coached 213 games, and been to 700 practices (thats an average), went on two missions trips, coached with four other assistant coaches, have been given to many nick-names to name, and have been challenged in so many ways that i cant even guess at a number. Some of those 54 girls stuck it out for all four years of ball and others came and went in a year. I have some great memories - memories that will stay close to my heart. Memories like heading to Iowa for nationals, watching a player grow to love Jesus more and more, watching girls get engaged and married, bus trips, Schuck Bucks, injuries, making last minute game winning shots, Chicago trip (shopping at Nike town and the harmonica scene) seeing a player come in as a freshman and barely survive and than turn out to be one of our best players as a senior, laughter, Linda being pregnant...Linda having a baby, winning and losing, lay-up drill, Christmas practice, taco dip, Millers bed and breakfast, devotions, seriously....this list can go on and on and on. But...like i told my mom when she tried to convince me to stay on board at NWC, 'it's my time to focus on me, and i cant do that when coaching, it requires my focus.' Although i am sad to say good-bye to this chapter in my life and really cant believe that next October 15th I will not be headed to ball practice; i am excited to have some new experiences in my life. I am hoping to start grad school in May - not that grad school is fun....but an adventure for sure. i am really hoping to get involved in a single bible study at my church (or a friends church), actually have time to have a social life, and i am looking into going over seas to New Zealand to teach for a spell....all things that are new to me. I am excited. But- telling my girls was hard and i was sad and i cant imagine NOT seeing them do their season next year. I will miss it, i have no doubt. I hope and pray that the impact they have had on my life is half the impact i had on their lives. And i hope that somehow i stay connected to Northwestern Women's Basketball and the girls that will be doing life there. Go Eagles.
So there ya have it....my life changing decision.

1 Comments:

Blogger Annette said...

This grabbed my heart!
Jo - thanks for your years of faithful service to NWC and Women's Ball. I love ya - I was there in '93! Can you believe I made the team? :).

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home