JOJO's Journey

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

CHISAGO LAKES TRI

What is satisfaction? I have been working hard on figuring out what that word means. I think I am a pretty competitive person and because of that I do a lot of comparing myself to others (in all areas of my life, not just in athletics) and usually fall short...and in turn I have a hard time feeling satisfied. But.. this past summer I have been challenged in how I look at satisfaction. I have been competing in Tri-Athlons and am enjoying the challenges they bring, both athleticlly and mentally! Usually I would think that the only way I am (was) successful, or felt satisfied, would be if I 'beat' people; wether in a game or in a race. But since my Tri's I am learning that beating people isn't the only way I can feel satisfied! This past Sunday I took part in my 1st OFFICIAL Tri-Athlon. It was in Chisago Lakes and consisted of 1/4 mile swim, 22 mile bike, and 3.2 mile run! I was soooo nervous! Over 1000 racers took part and it seemed overwhelming. The heat in-dex was high so I was nervous about that as well. And they changed the bike portion of the race from 15 miles to 22 miles due to construction - only in MN!!!! I had been training for 15 - not 22 so that made me the most nervous. My goal going into the race was to finished in 95 minutes. Of course, that goal was when I thought I was biking 15 miles, not 22. Well, as you can imigine I did not meet my 95 minute goal...but as I sat on the grass with my mom and dad and thought about my performance... I was actually satisfied! I didn't meet my goal, I didn't beat some people that I thought I should and I sure didn't finish at the top, but I still felt very satisfied! My finishing time was 2:13:48.8. Not the best time, but there was still something deep down inside me that was screaming 'good job'...I know that if my friend Linda or Sara or Chad were racing against me that they would have beat me and weird enough, I was ok with that thought; usually I would not be OK with that thought. I finished, I felt good and I really enjoyed the process! I felt like I did the best that I could, I tried and pushed hard, and I had fun! I know I have things that I NEED to get better at, like my running time, but still I felt satisfied! A SELF accomplishement!!!! I am digging these tri-athlons a lot! My brother Chris asked me why I enjoy punishing my body like that and the only answer I had for him was 'because it makes me feel satisfied'. I am sure I wont always feel this way, but I like the lesson that I am learning this summer about satisfication! oh yes...I look like I was in pain at the end of my race...right!!! cuz I was....my legs were dead!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home