JOJO's Journey

Monday, September 18, 2006

3:16:57

So I servived the bike race/tour. I have grown to love my bike alot. I purchased it back in mid July and have spent many hours on it training. I never thought I'd like biking as much as I do. It's a place I can unwind, a place I can just be by myself and not worry about anyone else. A place I can push myself and go hard, or a place that I can just take it easy and enjoy the scenery. I also took on a role that my friend Linda does when she bikes....I pray! So it's refreashing to get on it. I need to name my bike- like guys do with cars. Any ideas?????

When I woke up the day of the race it was raining out and I was not looking forward to spending hours upon hours on my bike. But... the rain stop- and unfortunatly the wind started. It was a long windy ride. But it was also good...if that is possible. I started the race out with my friend Katie from high school. She is so fun and I love being around her. She was not into athletics in high school but the past years has become an avid biker, runner, cross country skier and canoer. She makes me smile. I was proably a bit over motivated for this race and left Katie behind at mile 3. She was riding a mountian bike so I am sure her miles were a lot tougher than mine on my cross trainer. Katie finsihed with a smile on her face and nothing but good things to say, thats why I love Katie. After I ditched (for lack of a better word) I set out to find Mike. Mike has been a life long family friend of mine. He is my best friend (Jens) dad and let me tell you---this guy is so frustrating; but I still love him! He is in the best shape and every time I think I might have a chance at beating him at something he goes off and still wins. The dude is a machine. If I am in half as good a shape as he is when I turn 54....I will be loving life. I am not sure when I caught him but all I do know is I peddled very very hard to catch up. He stopped to refill his H2O bottle and I kept on going (big mistake). I stayed ahead of him for a solid hour or so and was feeling good about it...but (dont ya just hate buts)... out of no where he caught me and I was never again able to take the lead. I was a bit on the dehydrated stage....I was being stupid and didn't want to stop for H2O. (note to self and others out there- ALWAYS STOP FOR WATER). The last 10 miles kicked my butt and Mike sprinted out ahead of me, finishing 8 minutes or so ahead of me. I was bummed out for a while but then refocused my thinking. It's not about beating people- it's about doing something I enjoy and doing it to feel satisified; a lesson I have been trying to learn all summer long. I had a couple of goals going into this race. #1 - to finish in less than 3 hours and 30 mintues- which I accomplished; finishing in 3 hours 16 minutes and 57 seconds. #2 - to not stop....and I almost accomplished this goal. But...mom called as I was heading up the biggest hill so I got off to answer the phone. I needed her to bring me H2O! #3 - was to average above 16 miles/hour and I barely did that averaging 16.4 miles/hour. nice!!!! #4 was to beat Mike...well, guess 2.5 out of 4 isn't all bad. It was a hard race. My quads and calfs killed and I was tired afterwards...but it was a good tired and a good race. And regardless - I am proud of myself. (and i dont say that very often). I will be sad to hang up the bike when winter gets here. and Mike....someday I'll catch ya and maybe even beat ya! :)

1 Comments:

Blogger Annette said...

you rock, joanimal. we need to get together before hoops starts.. or else it's over for another 9 months....netters

6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home