JOJO's Journey

Saturday, June 16, 2007

1:37:12 - Loon Lake

i am not sure why i do the things i do sometimes. i decided to do a Triathlon this morning west of Mankato in a small rinky dink town called Lake Crystal. i have been training (working out) the past couple months and thought..."i can do sprint (1/4 mile swim, 12.5 mile bike, 3.2 mile run), no problems". now, lets take into consideration that all my training has been done inside (no heat factors)...and usually only one portion at a time. for example- i swim and than lift. or i go for a run. or i go for a bike ride. i had yet to train in doing all three together, along with transitions- but, again. i thought...'no problems.' i packed up this morning at 5:00, got in the car...drove through rain, thunder, lightening; more rain! thought for sure we'd not be getting into the water. arrived at 7:ish to check in, warm up, stood in line for the port-da-potty, got my bike ready, tested out the really green water, got nervous and than wondered..."why am i doing this again." at 8:05 i entered the water. i decided that i was going to enjoy my swim so i let most of the swimmers ahead of me go so i could just get into the grove and enjoy the cool water. i finished the swim in 8:38. got on my bike and made it a goal to pass 10 people while biking. thus, i hammered it out! i did pass 11 total people, finishing the bike in 46:something! i was pumped! than of course the sun came out, the wind died down, the heat index went up and off to the run i went. i hate running. my body was not made to run. i am top heavy (for those of you that know me) and it hurts...my knee was bugging me from lifting hard with my trainer on Wednesday so that didn't help - and it was HOT; my feet felt like they were on fire. (note to self, where socks...don't save time in your transition....put them on!). i have no real excuses besides the fact that i really suck at running!!!!! i finished the 3.2 miles in 41 minutes ( i am not sure why i am even admitting that to you all). embarssing!!!!! total time, including my transitions was 1 hour 37 minutes and 12 seconds. my goal was to finish under 1 hour 30 minutes....so again, i did not meet my goal. i was thinking about it afterwards and wondered why i do triathlons. what is my purpose in doing them? do i enjoy them? why if i hate running so much? it was a good conversation i had with myself while waiting for my friend Scott to meet up with me for lunch (he lives in fairimont about 45 minutes away). i am not sure of my conclusions yet. but i do know that i do them for self satisfaction and to keep myself disciplined and in somekind of shape. i have a hard time when i finished 9th to last....and cant finished three miles in under 35 minutes...i have a hard time not letting the competitive side of me get the best of me. i am 32 years old and i love swimming. and i love biking. is the enjoyment in doing those things enough. or should i remain competitive. and what about the running peice; how do i get better? any answers!!!!! i am in wonder at why i do some of the things i do! huh??????? (sorry no pictures)

3 Comments:

Blogger The Lefto's said...

Wish I had some great inspiring advice... but I love super salty Tater Tots and legs feel like rubber when I have to ride bike to the park which is less than a mile away. All that and I'm only 31!!!

12:56 PM  
Blogger Rajan Family said...

My landlord/boss just did a triathlon on Sunday here in NY! He said you beat his time. Although I don't know the distance he had to do. You rock and are an inspiration, THAT is why you should keep doing it!!!!

1:08 PM  
Blogger Annette said...

you're a ROCK - joanimal - with heart of GOLD! love ya! wish i could swim!

1:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home