JOJO's Journey

Sunday, November 06, 2011

NOVERMBERING IS REMEMBERING

every November my church takes time to remember those we love and have lost. it's always a hard time...but good. today Pastor Dave told us that it's okay to mourn...it's okay to not understand...and it's okay to miss people....and it's okay to take time to remember! as i lit my candle today i had memories of some very special peeps of mine.
Sunil was such a unique man. He was one of my closest friends husband...and i miss him! My first thought of him today while remembering him was when i first went to visit him and mandi (many many many years ago) in NYC. i was nervous to spend a whole week there...and Sunil made me feel comfortable and loved. He painted my finger nails and toe nails blue- so today...i painted my nails blue. I also remember him telling me in a whisper when i visited him in the hospital that he loved me and was thankful for me. And one last memory i had this morning... at his wedding reception to Mandi he told me that i looked beautiful and that deep down in side he thought i was a bad ass. huh- sounds like Sunil. :) miss you.
Grandpa and Grandma Venhuizen..... love them! cant imagine having better grandparents. Grandma Niece was always loving. One memory that i had this morning was when my little brother buzz fell of a piece of equipment and cracked open his head. Grandma was there- and she took amazing care of him, and me. i remembering thinking buzz was going to die and i remember grandma telling me that God would take care of Buzz and that he would be okay! I remember her calm demeanor and her loving hugs that followed after. Grandpa was awesome, and i have to admit that i think i was one of his favorite grandkids. i had him wrapped around my finger. I remember spending countless afternoons in the cow fields with him (and jason), i remember eating dozens of pink peppermints and i remembering knowing with out a doubt that Grandpa would be excited to see me when i showed up. I miss them. but my memories are many and found....and i often smile when i think of them.
oh grandma Shirley. I would say she was the crazy (in a good way) grandma. she was the one that allowed us kids to ride the pigs, and play with the goats, and she always had some sort of animal that needed attention in her house. she allowed me to drive her car when i was to young, and drink pop when i wasn't suppose to, and she always had movies to watch! She got me hooked on soap opera's. and i learned...the hard way...that cigarettes suck! Grandma- you left me way to early...and i miss you!
The last person that i remembered this morning that i unfortunately do not have a good picture of is my aunt Dorothy. She was quiet....and took after her mom (grandma niece). she was love in how she carried herself and how she took care of her boys. she didnt need to say a single word to me for me to KNOW with out a doubt that she cared about me. i remember a long long long time ago that she spent hours with me on a ski slope trying her hardest to teach me how to get down the hill. i fell so many times...and it took forever...and she NEVER gave up on me. and when we reached the bottom she told me good job and that the only way i would get better is if kept on trying. dorothy, like grandma Shirley, left me way to earlier...and i miss her.

yes...i will remember! yes...i will mourn! and yes....i will forever carry these people, and others, in my heart! thanks Open Door for the opportunity to honor them and remember them!

1 Comments:

Anonymous jen miller said...

All great people to remember, Jo. Didn't know Sunil personally but I know he meant a lot to the people who loved him. I was blessed to know your grandarents and they really were great people. Those are some wonderful memories to share!

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home